Fence & Tree

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Forging an Elite Fetus: 9th [and final!] month

Blog I wrote for www.crossfitktown.com on May 24, 2011...

Ah, the sweet challenge of a new human being entering your CrossFit lifestyle.  As everyone knows, I was pregnant and due to have a sweet little miss on or around May 15.  Many of you have asked questions, guys and girls alike, about how exactly this whole CrossFit thing works while you’re pregnant.  Well, I’m here to hopefully shed some light on being a preggo CrossFitter.  Remember to keep in mind, this is my experience only and every woman has a different experience during their pregnancy.
Weeks 36-40 make up the final month of pregnancy [for most].  I think it’s safe to say that this final month was insanely difficult on my overall peace of mind at the gym.  Even though I had movements that I could rely on for a great workout [KB swings, knees to chest, press, double-unders, push press, back squats, front squats, jogging, rowing, push ups [belly button to floor], air squats, preggo burpees, and general mobility], I still felt like I was alone on redemption island on Survivor: CrossFit Preggo Edition.
I did my best to do all of the metcon’s Rx and managed to continue to do the workouts with the rest of the group most of the time.  Understandably so, with my limited mobility and my crazy work schedule in April, I cut down my workout’s to a few times a week, including Saturday’s.  Even though I was very uncomfortable working out with my enlarged midsection, I knew it was what my body [and my baby] needed to be happy and healthy in the long-run.  So, I continued on!  In fact, I worked out for a couple hours on Saturday, May 14 [three days before I gave birth!]…
Tuesday, May 17, 2011
Warm up: Five hours of – contractions three minutes apart, lasting one minute each
Metcon: For time – birthing a baby, game style
Finisher: Sit and stare at an absolutely gorgeous life that Ben and I brought to this world
So on Tuesday, May 17, at 40 weeks and 2 days, I was awakened early in the morning by contractions that were more intense than the ones I had been having for the couple weeks prior.  After a quick text to my doc to make sure I wasn’t jumping the gun [yeah, we text…], Ben and I decided to head to the hospital.  It was determined I was in labor and I was admitted at 10am.
Eeeekk – the time had finally come!  Leaving out details [you’re welcome, gentlemen], we were blessed with Teigan Elizabeth Slocum at 2:58pm.  Weighing in at 8 lbs. 2 oz. and 21”, I’m happy to say that I was in labor for about five hours and only had to push four times… all with absolutely no medication; all natural, baby!  YAY!
How did I do this particular metcon Rx?  I breathed my way through it, much like I do at CFKT.  Don’t get me wrong, giving birth is much, much, much more taxing on your body than The Badger, but, I went to the same pain cave [perfect reference, Adam] to get through it.
In addition to getting through the labor relatively easily with no meds, I have already lost all 24 lbs. of my baby weight gained during pregnancy [yes, it’s only been one week!].  Along with breast-feeding, I attribute this to maintaining an active CrossFit lifestyle during my entire pregnancy.  I also think that coaching and training during my pregnancy is a lot of the reason why Teigan is so stinkin’ laid back.  She is a great eater, fabulous sleeper, and so ridiculously good looking [obviously because of CFKT’s influence]!
I still have a lot of work to do in terms of getting my old abs and mid-section back, but I feel confident that slowly getting back into working out while I heal will get me there in no time.
For all of you lucky folks at the gym who have recently found out you’re pregnant, you have so much to look forward to.  These are, hands down, the best days of our life so far.  Our hearts are so full; it’s unlike anything you can ever imagine.  We are so in love and know you will be, too.
Signing off for the pregnancy portion of my CrossFit Ktown Forging an Elite Fetus blog series, but I’ll let you all know when Teigan is training for her first muscle-up.  Can’t wait for all of you to meet her [we’ll be by soon; promise!]…
Coach E$ Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment