Fence & Tree

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Hug O' War

Even though we all know Teigan is a total genius, let's be honest, she won't be reading books for a few years.  Did that stop me from purchasing Where the Sidewalk Ends by Shel Silverstein a few months ago?  Nope.  

Anywho, I couldn't help but flip through it tonight and reminisce about my ol' favorite book of children's poems.  I came across one that struck a cord...

Hug O' War
I will not play at tug o' war
I'd rather play at hug o' war,
Where everyone hugs
Instead of tugs
Where everyone giggles
And rolls on the rug,
Where everyone kisses
And everyone grins
And everyone cuddles
And everyone wins.

Ah, to have a child's innocent, all-embracing, inquisitive mind again.  Wouldn't it be nice... for everyone to win?  I think that rarely happens in life.  

Except, of course, those folks who compete in homemade cherry pie-eating contests.  I mean, even if you don't "win", you totally "win".  It's pie.  Homemade.  Cherry.  And you're eating it.  WIN!

No comments:

Post a Comment