Fence & Tree

Saturday, February 11, 2012

Rap love


So I woke up this morning with a little swagger in my step, a little attitude in my voice... all ready to hit the morning swingin' and be productive.  Oh, I've been productive, but not in the manner I was planning on.  With Honey on TV - between the hip hop, Mekhi Phifer, and now Tupac playing on my computer - I'm getting nothing done.  Literally.  All I'm doing is rapping and dancing.  Maybe this is my me time?  I think so... and I like it.

So, you'd think that sitting around listening to Tupac would make you think of something other than your father, but me?  Nope.  All I'm thinking of is Dad.  For those of you know him, you know what a hilarious character he is.  The same guy who graduated West Point in stellar standing, speaks three languages fluently, is a Controller for ExxonMobil Chemical, and taught me the five ways to kill a man with your bare hands at the ripe age of five, is also the same guy that taught my brother and I how to move like we're backup dancers, watches The Bachelor, rode around a crotch-rocket at the mature age of 55, and, as you could probably guess, loves Tupac.

There's something about a father-daughter relationship... something that really can't really be explained.  I'm so excited to see Ben and Teigan's relationship grow.  There will be tough times [as much as we'd like to say there won't be], but she'll always come back and if she's anything like me, Ben will remain one of the most important men in Teigan's life.  I just hope Ben and I instill the kind of qualities in Teigan that our parents have instilled in us.  Times are changing and, while adaptation is part of the journey, we will do our very best to bring up a kind, respectful, loving, aware, independent young lady - who also happens to love ghetto rap music and playing in the dirt.

Our father-daughter dance?  Disco's very own California Hustle.  Duh.
While my original intent of this blog certainly didn't start off as affectionate, I suppose that's where it landed.  I love you, Dad!
 
As my Dad ends every heartfelt moment in his life, whether it be one of his infamous letters, silly postcards, genius raps, or sentimental speeches-
May the road rise up to meet you, and may the wind always be at your back.  May the sun shine warm upon your face, and may the rains fall soft upon your fields.

No comments:

Post a Comment